If you are familiar with the maca plant then you surely are aware of the numerous health benefits this plant has to offer. This plant has been in use for physical as well as for mental illness since ancient times. This blog highlights various important health benefits of maca and also some possible side effects.
What is maca?
This plant is scientifically known as Lepidium meyenii, which primarily belongs to the radish family and looks closely similar to radish. It is native to the Andes Mountain in Peru. It grows in very high altitudes (above 13000 feet) and survives in harsh conditions. Its cultivation dates back as long as 300 years in this region. That is why it has a long history of medicinal as well as culinary use.
The edible part of this plant is its roots. The root is mainly consumed in powdered form, the taste of which has been described as earthy and nutty. Nowadays, Maca is also available in the form of capsules. Letstalkhealth sells highly concentrated raw organic maca capsules. Check out here.
Nutritional content of Maca
Maca root is a good source of several vitamins and minerals. It is also a great source of carbs, contains fiber, and is very low in fat. There are other essential vitamins that you can benefit from as well such as Vitamin C, copper, and iron.
One ounce (28 grams) of maca root powder contains:
Carbs: 20 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Vitamin C: 133% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI)
Copper: 85% of the RDI
Iron: 23% of the RDI
Potassium: 16% of the RDI
Vitamin B6: 15% of the RDI
Manganese: 10% of the RDI
Benefits of Maca
Let us learn about some of the important health benefits of maca.
- Depression: Several studies have shown a positive impact of maca on mood thus reducing depression levels and anxiety. This is because of the flavonoids present in maca. A study done in 2015 found that Maca could reduce depression in menopausal women.
- Erectile dysfunction: Erectile dysfunction in men could be because of a lot of reasons depending on person to person. Some of these reasons include mental issues, reduced sexual desire, and so on.
Maca helps in addressing this issue by increasing libido and this enhancing sexual desire. It could also help by addressing anxiety and depression as already pointed out.
- Hair loss: Maca is one of the best ways of preventing hair thinning, hair loss, and baldness. Maca helps in strengthening hair roots and enhances hair growth.
- Relieve menopause symptoms: During menopause, the estrogen in the body declines and results in unpleasant symptoms. Some of these symptoms include hot flashes, vaginal dryness, mood swings, sleep problems, and irritability. Many research studies have backed the claim that maca helps in alleviating such symptoms.
- Sum damage: Maca is excellent for protecting the skin against UV rays of the sun thus preventing skin tanning, skin cancer, and other skin problems. Thanks to the presence of polyphenol antioxidants and glucosinolates in maca, which makes it a good protecting agent.
- Increasing fertility: Maca has been found to increase fertility in men by increasing semen quality in both fertile and infertile men.
- Fights free radicals: By promoting natural antioxidants like glutathione and superoxide dismutase, maca helps in fighting free radicals in the body. Free radicals are responsible for causing cell damage.
How to Use Maca
Maca can be incorporated into your daily diet as a supplement or can be added to meals like smoothies, oatmeal, baked goods, etc. It is recommended to decide the optimal dose after consulting with your physician. Always look for the best quality organic maca. The best place to get it from is Letstalkhealth.
Potential side effects
- Maca is generally considered safe for consumption. However, consuming fresh maca root could have adverse effects on health. Hence, one should boil it before consuming it.
- Thyroid patients should consume maca after strictly consulting with their doctors. Maca contains goitrogens, a substance that is known to interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland in the body. Since thyroid patients already have impaired thyroid function in their body, consuming Maca could lead to health hazards.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women are also recommended to consult with their healthcare team before taking maca.
- People undergoing treatments that have an impact on hormones are also recommended to be careful with maca. Due to its effects on hormones, maca could interfere with ongoing treatments.
If you are looking to buy certified maca capsules, then you can get them from our website. Our NEW Organic Raw Maca is a specialized concentrated form that is equivalent to 4,500 mg of fresh Maca root.
The proprietary gelatinization is a completely vegetarian process that removes starch from Maca to yield a more concentrated product. Gelatinization does not refer to “gelatin,” and no animal-derived ingredients are incorporated into this process.
Let's Talk Health is the premier discount nutritional supplement company for your health needs. Our proprietary "nutritional formulas with a purpose" are formulated exclusively for Let's Talk Health utilizing the latest emerging nutrition science.
Let's Talk Health ensures both the potency and quality of our formulas by utilizing a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility that is inspected and registered by the FDA and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) compliant.
Each formula is laboratory tested by an HPLC (High-performance liquid chromatography) analysis to ensure potency, efficacy, and quality.
We strive to offer the best products to our valued customers at the most affordable rates. Improving your health is our ultimate objective and our customer testimonials vouch for that. Besides shopping from us, you can get in touch with us if you have any queries relating to health issues or supplements. Our team is dedicated to assist you in the best way possible and address all your queries.